If you are not from Naples, you may need some hints on how to organise your life in Naples.
Naples is the oldest Italian city (pre-dating Rome by almost a millennium) and it is a magnificent, multi-ethnic, multiracial and complex city with a vibrant social and cultural life.
It is also chaotic and sometimes to find your way around can be quite difficult. In this page we try to offer you a few tips.
The Linguistic Center of the Atheneum or CLA, periodically offers courses and
for both italian students who want to learn English and for foreign students who want to learn Italian. Stay tuned by following
CLA News to know about these courses. By the way: studying in Napoli by default you will learn also a Second language
"Neapolitan". Yes, Neapolitan is not a dialect but a language, another peculiarity of a very old town. Oh I forgot: you will also learn how to use your hands to express yourself in
a very effective way.
Finding a student's accomodation in Naples is not always easy and the University has only a limited amount of lodging opportunities.
Here is some info's.
- University lodging opportunities. This are the so called Residenze per studenti. The Residenze are owned by the Regione Campania and are offered
on a competitive base through specific calls which are periodically issued on this site. The cost is 250 euro/month for a place in a double occupancy astronomyand 350
euro/month for a single occupancy room. Usually they are in new buildings provided of all needed extra (gymnasium, WI-FI, air conditioning, laundry). The rent also includes
the use of the common kitchens (one on each floor) and study rooms, as well as a weekly substitution of linens and sheats. More information on where they are located and on
additional services offered, as well as on the procedures to follow in order to apply are described in this
- Private accomodations . Many privates rent their houses to students. Usually accomodations refer to a room (single or double occupancy) with bathroom
and use of the kitchen. A few good starting points to search for a room are listed below (but many other options are possible and we are sure that
as "Data Scientists at large" you are quite good at surfing the web). Since Naples is a quite large town we recommend you to search for an accomodation near theadMonte
Sant'Angelo Campus or, in any case, near a metro station.
- 1. Uniafftitti
- 2. Subito.it
- 3. Idealista
- 4. Erasmus students
- 5. Facebook page organised by students: Affitti Studenti Napoli
Each University complex has one or more canteens where students can eat a full meal at discount prices.
If you wish to eat out, Napoli offers thousands of opportunities from unexpensive to very expensive. In average, however, in Napoli is possible to eat very well
(street food (especially "rosticceria"), fast foods economic restaurants) for less than anywhere else in Italy. Not all campuses are equally well served but, for sure,
you will never starve, at the end, you must remember that "Pizza" was invented in Napoli and you can be sure that they are the best in the world.
Public and university libraries
The University Federico II has a huge integrated system of libraries. For the first year of the
LMDS the most relevant are the Library of the scientific area and the
library of enginnering. Students can access the study rooms, borrow books, etc.
But these libraries are only a part of the huge amount of ooportunities available in Naples. We cannot forget to mention the National Library and the
State Archive, to quote just the most relevant.
Cultural life and opportunities
To be a student of the University Federico II means to be part of a tradition which dates back to 1224. Over the years the University has aquired buildings, work of arts and incredible collections.
It therefore comes as no surprise that the University owns and operates several world famous museums. The Museum complex
( watch this video) is in the heart of the town and you can find:
- Museum of the Minerals. ocated in the prestigious Library of the Collegio Massimo dei Gesuiti was established
in the spring of 1801 by Ferdinand IV of Bourbon, it was an important scientific research center aimed at enhancing the mineral resources of the Kingdom of Naples.
It is therefore quite different from many other museums, created exclusively to preserve the spectacular and always fascinating world of minerals.
- Paleontologigal Museum. A wonderful collection of fossils, including the skeleton of an allosaurus 8.5 m long and the best preserved
fossil of dinosaurus nicknamed "Ciro" (Scipyonix samniticus).
- Museum of Physics instrumentation.
- Anthropological museum containing original or copies of human skulls tracing the evolution of human beings and other
Besides the University Museums, Napoli hosts some of the most prestigious museums in the world. Through your student card you can get special discounts on the
entrance fee. To quote just a few:
Keep in mind, however, that this is just a very incomplete list of places to visit in a town which has unlimited cultural opportunity. There are also An astronomical observatory, an Aquarium,
the best botanical Garden in Europe, hundreds of churches and chapels, dozens of smaller museums, theathers, movie theaters, etc... There is also a soccer stadium where plays the Napoli Football Team.
I know: you are not interested in soccer but, trust me, in Napoli you will become fanatic about it. You will even find shrines celebrating the legendary Maradona.
- National Archeological Museum - MANN. Hosts the most amazing collection of roman and Greek antiquities.
- Capodimonte Picture Gallery. Three floors of magnificent paintings and handcrafts.
- San Martino Museums. Located in one of the most amazing places of Naples
with a breathtaking view of the town, hosts paintings, nativities and sculptures
plus several thematic collections.
- Filangieri Museum. Often defined as a contemporary Wunderkammer with beautiful collections of masterpieces and objects.
- Modern Art Museum - MADRE. In an historical building in the center of Napoli.
- Science Museum and planetarium. Città della Scienza i.e. The Science City is located on the sea side anf offers
scientific exhibit an entire building dedicated to explain the misteries of the human body and a modern digital planetarium.
- Cappella Sansevero. Hosting some of the most incredible sculptures in the world.
- Treasury of San Gennaro. The most precious collection in the world (more than the Jewels of the Royal Crown) of jewels
and precious masterpieces.
Student association and social groups
To be completed